Ring in the new year with your local Los Angeles Public Library branch! Got resolutions? Check them off one-by-one by doing the following:
1. New Year’s resolution to read more? Participate in the 150th Anniversary Challenge! The Los Angeles Public Library turned 150 on December 7, and it is celebrating this amazing milestone for 150 days. You can celebrate, too, by joining in the 150th Anniversary Challenge.
2. Download the Libby app. If you’re an e-reader, audiobook lover, Libby gives you free access to one of the largest collections of e-resources in the country. Oh, and if you’re feeling crafty, you should also check out Craftsy through the Libby app.
3. Become the maker you always wanted to be! Visit the Octavia Lab at Central Library and learn how to print posters, start your own podcast, use embroidery sewing machines, and much more.
4. Get involved! Literacy is important to all of us. Whether as a learner or a volunteer, come learn more about Adult Literacy at the Library, today.
5. Need a computer or a hotspot? Go to your local LAPL branch for Tech2Go bundles to help get you on good digital footing to start off the year. Need a little help learning how to use the technology, ask for a Cybernaut, who can help you navigate these new digital tools.
6. Need to keep up with the news on a digital device? Your Los Angeles Public Library card gives you free digital access to thousands of newspapers including the Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Washington Post, and many more.
7. Come see an engaging exhibition! Central Library is currently hosting exhibits in the Getty Gallery and First Floor Galleries. Current exhibitions include the inaugural Creators in Residence showcase, featuring works by Kwasi Boyd-Bouldin and River Garza, and Barrier Breakers: From Jackie to Pumpsie, 1947-1949, developed by the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.
8. Learn a new skill on Skillshare! This online resource has thousands of online classes on topics including illustration, design, photography, and more. Many of the courses are available in various languages as well.
9. Impress your friends with your talents! Check out a ukelele and master your favorite tunes. There are ukulele kits at multiple LAPL branches that include the instrument, case, chord book, and tuner.
10. We invite you to Join in the fun of our Stay Home and Read a Book Ball! If you prefer the warmth of your home and an excuse to spend all day reading, this is the event for you. This year, the Stay Home and Read a Book Ball Chair is Mohsin Hamid and Honorary Chairs are Alex Segura, Natalia Molina, Christina Rice, and Yesika Salgado. For 35 years, this has been the best non-event that you will ever attend in support of the Los Angeles Public Library.
We look forward to seeing you at Library this year. Happy New Year!
Library Foundation of Los Angeles
P.S. Don’t forget to visit The Library Store. It has imaginative items and gifts for every budget, sourced from a variety of local artists, vendors, and cause-related organizations.